Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Take an ink stained rugby shirt..........

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I have been busy crafting but as most of the items are for Christmas presents it wouldn't be right to post them on my blog - well not without spoiling a few surprises.

I have today been playing with another donated item. My lovely brother had a bad day and spilt black ink over his Welsh rugby shirt - sacrilege - but we all make mistakes. He kindly passed it on to me to see if I could use it in my sewing so I've been chewing over what to do with it and came up with the idea of a bag of some kind.

So today I set about transforming the shirt into a drawstring backpack.

I split the shirt into it's separate back and front. I then cut each of those in half just below the placket where the worst of the ink was. By turning this piece around, so the hem became the top of the bag, I was able to hide the ink behind the front of the shirt. I then appliqued one to the other to make the front and back of the bag.

The back piece has the back of the collar and I decided to leave the top of the collar unsewn and this has formed a pocket.

I threaded some cord through and attached these to two loops I sewed into the bottom seam and hey presto, a rugby shirt backpack.
Well hopefully it won't be so long next time and maybe I'll ignore the bah humbugs and display some of my Christmas decorations that I have been busy making.